An installation done by a reputable contractor using quality materials can greatly increase the curb appeal and value of your home.
Before signing a contract to get a fence or deck built consider the following points:
- Make sure your contractor has been in business for a significant amount of time.
- Every year new fence and deck companies appear, but very few are still operating after one or two years.
- The contractor should be involved start-to-finish, from the design to the installation to the completion. (beware of sub-contractors).
- Make sure you are comfortable with the contractor, as you will be dealing with him often throughout the course of the project.
- A contractor that specializes in fences and decks is likely going to be more proficient than a general contractor, and probably cheaper.
2. Ensure that the material comes from a reputable well known supplier.
- They offer a wider variety of quality lumber and hardware products.
- “Midnight Suppliers” tend to provide below grade materials.
- If a contractor can start immediately you should be wary. If he is good, why isn’t he busy?
- In the busy seasons (spring/summer) a reputable contractor can have up to ten weeks of work before they can start a new job.
4. Be aware of the approximate duration of the work.
- In most cases a job should take between 5 and 10 days from start to finish. (usually posts installed one day and the fence or deck is built the next week).
- Concrete usually needs to set for several days before being built on to achieve long-term stability.
5. Cost is important
- But the lowest price is not necessarily the best value, and often it is not even good value!